Thomas is proud to be a part of It’s Art Call 2017 exhibiting alongside a high calibre selection of contemporary artists at D Contemporary’s flagship gallery in Mayfair, London. The fantastically curated exhibition brings together a unique range of perspectives offering contemporary visual art and sculptural pieces.
Thomas has three pieces on display from his recent ‘American Series’ of works where he refers to the current social and political climate to raise questions about prejudice, exploitation and identity in the new world order. Two paintings ‘Wailing Wall One’ and ‘Wailing Wall Two’ play with visual perspectives reminiscent of Surrealist painter Paul Delvaux while employing President Trump’s proposed border wall as a central motif around which Thomas discusses alienation and social exclusion. A third painting ‘Sorrow and Loss’ confronts the tragedies faced by the victims or terrorism and war.
The exhibition runs until the 26th August.
Via/ Molly Carroll and explained by the brilliant @feminegro of the Brooklyn-based arts organization @iamcaribBEING. *************************************** #CARIBBEING /‘KAR-IB-BE-ING/: [noun]
1. Term constructed from ‘Caribbean’ and ‘being’ which means the nature or essence of a person.
2. A 21st century person born in and/or of descent from the Caribbean.
3. Adventure-seeker with a strong desire to travel and explore the Caribbean.
4. An authentic Caribbean brand.
#CARIBPOLITAN ['KAR-IB-POL-I-TAN]: [NOUN]
1. Term constructed from ' Caribbean' and the Greek root 'polis' which means city, citizenship or body of people. Caribpolitans bridge the waters by forming new “villages” in diasporic enclaves like Flatbush, Brixton, and Brampton. For most Caribbean immigrants, urban life is their first encounter with neighboring islanders, and the similarities are undeniable.
Join us this Sunday as we speak with two individuals who use the power of the internet to empower their communities! Matt Mitchell, is a security researcher, data-journalist, hacker, and founder of Crypto Harlem, who works to protect everyday people with electronic security knowledge. Phoenix Sinha, is a Washington youth and organizer who curates memes, and images on Marxist theory through social media. Be sure to join us live on KUNM 89.9 FM, or online at KUNM.org. If you are unable to join us on Sunday, we do make our podcasts available Mondays on iTunes and Soundcloud. Don’t forget to rate us on iTunes! #digitalsecurity#gjlove#youthradio#cryptoharlem#journalism#empowerment#Marxisttheory#socialcommentary